Songs and Stories
Monday, August 31st, 2009 Aug 31st, 2009 leave a response

simply-wicked

I can’t write with music on in the background. If I try, I end up adding the lyrics into my manuscript, which isn’t very helpful, or singing along and not concentrating at all. But sometimes, while I’m writing a book and I’m out picking up kids or shopping, something will come on the ipod that I recognize as having some interesting connection with either a character from the book or a general sense of the ‘theme’ of the book. Sometimes its the actual lyrics and other times its just the way the music makes me feel-if that makes any sense at all πŸ™‚

For example, I’m a big Madonna fan and a couple of her songs have actually influenced or summed up some of my books.

Here are the lyrics to a song from the album “Ray of Light” called “To Have and Not to Hold

To have and not to hold
So hot, yet so cold
My heart is in your hand
And yet you never stand
Close enough for me to have my way

To love but not to keep
To laugh, not to weep
Your eyes, they go right through
And yet you never do
Anything to make me want to stay

Chorus:

Like a moth to a flame
Only I am to blame
Ba ba da ba ba ba
What can I do?
Ba ba da ba ba ba
I go straight to you
Ba ba da ba ba ba
I’ve been told
You’re to have, not to hold

To look but not to see
To kiss but never be
The object of your desire
I’m walking on a wire
And there’s no one at all
To break my fall

(chorus)

You’re to have, not to hold
You’re to have, not to hold

(chorus)

You’re to have, not to hold
You’re to have, not to hold
You’re to have, not to hold
To break my heart.

When I first heard this I immediately thought of Peter Howard from Simply Sexual because the words just epitomized how he feels about Valentin. But then, as I continued to write the series and was knee deep in Simply Sinful, I realized that the lyrics actually applied not only to Peter, but to how Valentin feels about Peter and how Sara feels about Valentin. An all-purpose song about the agonies of loving someone who doesn’t seem to want you in the same way.

Recently, I’ve been writing Simply Wicked, which comes out next month, and the book which is most closely related to it, Simply Insatiable, which comes out in May 2010. My musical inspiration this time comes from an unlikely source, The Red Hot Chili Peppers and isn’t as much directed as the lyrics, but more to the desperation inherent in the song and the situation that I felt mirrored the conflict between Anthony and himself and his conflict with Lord Minshom.

Otherside

[Chorus:]
How long how long will I slide
Separate my side I don’t
I don’t believe it’s bad
Slit my throat
It’s all I ever

I heard your voice through a photograph
I thought it up it brought up the past
Once you know you can never go back
I’ve got to take it on the otherside

Centuries are what it meant to me
A cemetery where I marry the sea
Stranger things could never change my mind
I’ve got to take it on the otherside
Take it on the otherside
Take it on
Take it on

[Chorus]

Pour my life into a paper cup
The ashtray’s full and I’m spillin’ my guts
She wants to know am I still a slut
I’ve got to take it on the otherside

Scarlet starlet and she’s in my bed
A candidate for my soul mate bled
Push the trigger and pull the thread
I’ve got to take it on the otherside
Take it on the otherside
Take it on
Take it on
[Chorus]

Turn me on take me for a hard ride
Burn me out leave me on the otherside
I yell and tell it that
It’s not my friend
I tear it down I tear it down
And then it’s born again

[Chorus]

How long I don’t believe it’s bad
Slit my throat
It’s all I ever

You’ll have to let me know if you agree with me on this one when you’ve read both the books-or at least when you read Anthony’s πŸ™‚

So, tell me, am I the only person who relates songs to books and themes and characters?

10 comments to “Songs and Stories”

1. Jennifer Leeland
      · August 31st, 2009 at 2:20 pm · Link

You know I do!!!!! Great songs, Kate. I love Peter. Love him.
    And I can’t wait to read “Simply Wicked”.

• Kate Pearce
      1.1
        · August 31st, 2009 at 6:57 pm · Link

You’re going to like ‘Wicked’ Jen-it’s right up your street πŸ™‚

2. Dayle
      · August 31st, 2009 at 3:28 pm · Link

Definitely me, too! I’ve blogged about this several times, in fact. I make playlists for each book, plus I have a “Sexy Songs” playlist for general erotica/erotic romance work.

I also write about musicians… πŸ™‚

• Kate Pearce
      2.1
        · August 31st, 2009 at 6:58 pm · Link

So do you play your playlists while you write? I can’t do that as I said above, but I love the idea of it-for me its usually just one or two songs that kind of sum it up for me πŸ™‚

3. Voirey Linger
      · August 31st, 2009 at 7:20 pm · Link

I’m like you, no music while writing, but the songs I listen to influence me. I even got a plot from one.

If i’m in a slump or stuck plotting, I’ll meditate with music going. I like heavy metal, and have a lot of Korn and Disturbed on my playlists, but if the story or characters call for something else, I’ll put that on.

My current MS is ‘Sadness” by Enigma. A fusion of Gregorian Chant and Techno For an angel and a party girl.

• Kate Pearce
      3.1
        · August 31st, 2009 at 10:58 pm · Link

My music tastes are very eclectic, but I also love to listen to music when I’m thinking through plot issues or I’m stuck on something-For me, a lot of it is about the lyrics and how they affect me and sometimes just the mood of the song.

4. Angeleque Ford
      · August 31st, 2009 at 7:45 pm · Link

I always write with music. But it has more to do with my background and upbringing I think.

I have created playlists for stories. And have different ones for different tones/moods of the story – dark vs light vs sexy vs romantic. I also have some for plotting & editing.

Actually I just finished creating one today for the sequel to my upcoming release.

If I don’t have music on the computer. I have the music station on the tv.

· August 31st, 2009 at 11:00 pm · Link

It’s weird because I grew up in a very noisy household and learned to do my homework with all kinds of music and noise around me πŸ™‚ Now that I have the choice, I prefer it a little more quiet. I love this idea of creating playlists though and I know many writers do this πŸ™‚

6. Aurora
      · September 10th, 2009 at 1:11 am · Link

I tend to start writing song lyrics into my emails when I am working! I try to keep it so low that it is just a hum so I don’t get distracted too badly! I loved Simply Wicked (Thank You soooo Much Again!!!) And this song is very close to Anthony’s inner tourment! Especially the line “Turn me on take me for a hard ride
    Burn me out leave me on the otherside