No, I haven’t disappeared under a pile of socks…
Tuesday, May 26th, 2009 May 26th, 2009 leave a response

anthony-s

A while ago someone showed me this picture-I think it was on the ‘Romance Diva’s’ Forum-and, of course, I’ve totally forgotten who he is-if anyone can remind me, please let me know so I can give him proper credit. :grin:

When I saw this picture, I immediately thought of Anthony Sokorvsky, the hero of my upcoming book, Simply Wicked which comes out in September from Kensington Aphrodisia. (follow the link and read the excerpt and you’ll see why)

Usually I never see a physical representation of my characters, they remain in my head in all their utterly sinful gorgeousness and usually I prefer that. How many times has someone made a series or a movie of your favorite book and -in your opinion-totally miscast the hero? Several times in my opinion-(although Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy and Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon are notable exceptions :wink: )

I occasionally get email from readers who suggest real live actors for my characters and I always rush off and google image them to see whether I think they fit the image in my head. Usually, not quite, but that’s the great thing about reading a book rather than watching a movie. In a book, your unique experiences meld with the words to form the characters faces, and I like that. In a movie, it’s one person’s idea-and a comment on how big the movie budget was.

Any movie’s ruined for you by the actors chosen to portray the hero or heroine?
And can anyone tell me this guy’s name? LOL

10 comments to “No, I haven’t disappeared under a pile of socks…”

1. Jackie Barbosa
      · May 26th, 2009 at 6:22 pm · Link

I have no idea who he is, Kate, but I’d be delighted to disappear under a pile of him.

I’m like you, though…I rarely have actual people in mind when I describe my characters. I prefer them yummy in my head :).

2. Crystal Jordan
      · May 26th, 2009 at 6:24 pm · Link

I believe that’s Raoul Bova…Italian actor/model.

I love this one of him: http://www.500images.com/uploads/539858083RaoulBova.jpg

• Kate
      2.1
        · May 26th, 2009 at 7:35 pm · Link

Oh My Word… I think he is Anthony, don’t you?

3. Chaeya
      · May 27th, 2009 at 2:55 pm · Link

I have a few people in mind for my hero but after showing a picture of him to my critique partner and she went “anh, not my cup a tea”, even though he was a rock star and many women thought he was fine, I try to steer away from getting into fine details about looks. I’ll drool in private. I give a description, but I know the reader will most likely see them differently than me. I mean you can say a guy has “long hair, golden brown skin and large beautiful eyes” and most women will have someone different in mind.

But I do get angry when I see movies and casting didn’t read the book. In Queen of the Damned, I was so angry when I saw the dude that played Marius. The way Anne Rice described him, he was a beautiful man with loving blue eyes, white marble skin and long platinum blond hair. I almost walked out of the theater, I was so angry. I don’t know what the heck they were thinking. I know, I’m crazy, but next to Lestat, I was in love with Marius. So I kinda borrowed him for my book, though his name isn’t Marius.

• Kate
      3.1
        · May 27th, 2009 at 3:03 pm · Link

I know-I hate it when some actor/actress looks nothing like I pictured them. Especially when someone is supposed to be plain or disfigured and some raving beauty plays them (cough cough Keira Knightly In P&P)

4. Ms Menozzi
      · May 27th, 2009 at 6:14 pm · Link

Yes, that’s Raoul Bova. Yes, he is utterly divine. And, yes, I believe you might have seen that pic here.

:wink:

As always, there’s more where that came from!

Ciao!

• Kate
      4.1
        · May 29th, 2009 at 12:13 pm · Link

I can always rely on you to show up with the hunks-thank you :grin:

5. Fedora
      · May 27th, 2009 at 7:22 pm · Link

Mm…

Sorry, got distracted, Kate! And casting is one reason I often dislike watching a movie that I’ve already read the book for–if it doesn’t fit the mental images I’ve already formed, it’s jarring! Wouldn’t it be fun to help cast a movie made from one of your books though? ;)

• Kate
      5.1
        · May 29th, 2009 at 12:14 pm · Link

I think the main problem would be finding someone who looks enough like the image in my head yet can act as well-I wonder if that person actually exists? But seriously, I’d Love to see my books made into movies-as long as I got script control :wink:

6. Kaia Logan
      · June 2nd, 2009 at 4:12 pm · Link

Hi Kate

Absolutely, I’m often disappointed by characters being miscaste. I think that’s the biggest reason I’m not much of a book trailer fan.
    I think the mental image we develop of a hero (especially in romance) is larger than life and extra perfect, and it’s very hard for someone felsh-and-blood to live up to that.

That said, I have to agree that the picture of Raoul is a jolly good match for Anthony :)