Socks
Sunday, May 17th, 2009 May 17th, 2009 leave a response

men_s_combed_socks

You might wonder why I’m blogging about socks of all things, especially when the temperature here in Northern California has soared to about 90 degrees today. But I have reached my limit. It reminds me of the day when my long-suffering mother (who was not a morning person AT ALL) finally got fed up of my dad not eating the sandwiches she got up to make him every day. It was like a mini-revolution the day she finally said ‘make your own b****y sandwiches!”

I feel like this about socks. In my house there are 4 males with big feet. Apparently there are only about 5 brands of socks for men in the universe and as far as I can see, they all look the same. I do laundry almost everyday but usually just one white load a week so everyone’s socks get stuck in together. Sometimes I’ll pull out about 61 socks from the dryer and try and sort them out.

This leads to discussion like “No, mom, mine are the one’s with the thin black line beneath the red Hanes logo with the grey toes, not the one’s with the red line and the black Hanes logo and the all grey foot…”

I don’t care anymore. Especially when son #2 swears he will never wear again any sock that anyone else has accidentally put on their foot after I’ve redistributed them LOL So I rebelled and told them henceforth I would leave all the white socks in a big pile and they could sort out their own. You would’ve thought I’d suggested they wash them themselves so great was the consternation. But I intend to stand firm. They’ll work it out when they have no socks left to wear. :mrgreen:

…and that brings me to a word about Mr. Kate Pearce and his sock fetish. I can guarantee that whenever I take him to a new store, he will reappear at some point with a new pack of black or white socks clutched in his hand. When I point out that he already has about 60 pairs of socks, he promises to throw some out. Ha! I suppose I should be grateful he is clean, right? but sometimes…

Anything about your loved ones that bugs you? Please share 🙂

12 comments to “Socks”

1. Emily Ryan-Davis
      · May 17th, 2009 at 7:45 pm · Link

I am one who is always on the lookout for a new package of socks, too. New socks feel better on the foot! I can’t convince my husband, though. I have to forcefeed him a pack at Christmas in order to get him to swap out.

I also wish I could knit faster. I love hand-made wool socks. Every time I don a pair that cost $20 and three weeks of work, I feel wealthy. Even if I am the one who did the work.

2. Kate
      · May 17th, 2009 at 8:01 pm · Link

You and Mr Kate Pearce are obviously meant for each other-he thinks that socks should only be worn once 🙂

3. ArkansasCyndi
      · May 17th, 2009 at 8:11 pm · Link

I have only a husband (no sons) and yet, I have PILES AND PILES of socks. I let them amass, then dump the whole pile in his lap while he’s watching tv. He can sort while he watches. Works for me!

• Kate
      3.1
        · May 18th, 2009 at 5:02 pm · Link

Cyndi, you see one man can generate a whole pile of socks, imagine what it is like with 4!!!

4. Fedora
      · May 19th, 2009 at 1:47 pm · Link

LOL! Sorry, that’s just too funny! You know, something I had suggested to me by another mom was to give each person in the house one of those laundry bags (the washable kind, like the ones you toss lingerie in)–they dump all their own dirty socks in their own bag; it all stays together in the wash and dryer, and you let them pick up their clean sock bag to start the cycle again.

Or since they seem to refuse to sort their own socks, they ought to each choose a different style/brand/color and stick to it.

Yeesh! I have to say, you’ve got lots of other things to be doing than sorting hundreds of socks that will never even be worn by you 😉

5. Maria Geraci
      · May 20th, 2009 at 8:08 am · Link

Ah! The universal sock tragedy. Perhaps they should be monogrammed?

I have to say how cute are you for not wanting to spell out *bloody* on your blog!!

• Kate
      5.1
        · May 20th, 2009 at 12:25 pm · Link

It’s more for my mother’s benefit than mine, Maria-she almost never swears-that was such an exception 😉

6. Saskia Walker
      · May 21st, 2009 at 7:30 am · Link

Hilarious! Oh, Kate, it’s so true. I only have one male to deal with and gave up sorting his socks for him a little while ago. After washing they now get shoved back in his drawer, en masse, and he has to find matching ones. Also, he is quite willing to buy new socks, and promises to put the threadbare ones in the bin, but he never actually does… to the point where I can’t physically get his overstuffed sock drawer closed when I restock it! it’s llike he can’t bare to part with his old sock buddies — even when he can see through the soles!! I’ve taken to culling the odd one or two (or ten) without telling him… sneaky..

• Kate
      6.1
        · May 21st, 2009 at 12:36 pm · Link

Maybe its a British male thing? He sound exactly like my hubby 😀

• Saskia Walker
        6.1.1
          · May 21st, 2009 at 2:54 pm · Link

Well, I suppose if there’s another war they’ll be glad they have so many spares. 😆