Our First House
Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 Mar 3rd, 2009 leave a response

Mr. Kate Pearce and I watch a lot of Home & Garden T.V these days, we’re always interested in new places to add to our “We’re moving in 2 years, kids, bye!!” list and having lived in about 13 houses and two continents since we married, we feel quite professional and amused by the first-time buyers dilemmas.

We were talking last night about a particular couple, both young, both worked full-time, had no kids but who ‘insisted’ they had to have at least 2 bathrooms and 3 bedrooms before they would even consider a place.

It made us laugh because my family home, (see picture at left of the same road) a Victorian terrace house on the outskirts of London, had at his fullest 8 people living in it (2 parents and 6 daughters) and 1 bathroom…okay so there were a few ‘moments’ when it got ugly in there, but generally we made it work.

We were also discussing how 1800/2000 square feet seems to be about the size most first-time buyers on HGTV seem to aim at. And that brought us back to our first house as a married couple.

(please note, this is in the same neighborhood, but ours was actually smaller than this one, no porch, no bow window on the side and an upstairs window at the front rather than at the side LOL)

It cost 30,000 pounds (this was in 1986) and was approximately 280 sq ft-seriously. Picture a quarter corner of your house and you’ve pretty much got it. You came in the front door, ahead of you was a spiral staircase-(it wasn’t big enough for a proper staircase).

To your right was the living area, 6ft x 6 ft wide, behind it was the kitchen which was big enough for a cooker and a sink, I’d say about 5 ft by 5ft. Upstairs was a small bathroom and our bedroom.

We bought a small pink 2 seater couch for 99 pounds in a clearance sale, which rolled out into a bed-that filled up the living space with the small T.V. We bought a cooker and a pine bed and that was it. Our house was complete.
We were so excited to be homeowners we even got a cat.

So you can excuse my amazement about how things have changed in the last 20 odd years :) I always used to gawp at my mum when she told me her house cost 2,000 pounds back in the sixties and that her mortgage was fixed for 25 years at 20 pounds a month. It sounded ridiculous, but as she pointed out, it was still half my dad’s wage, which is pretty much how much most of us fork out these days for houses of our own.

And after we watched the show last night I turned to Mr. Kate Pearce and told him that when we move I have to have my own toilet again….that’s a deal breaker for me. So really I’m just as bad as everyone else these days. LOL

12 comments to “Our First House”

1. Louisa Edwards
      · March 4th, 2009 at 1:54 pm · Link

We are all spoiled rotten. But I couldn’t share a bathroom with more than one person at this point in my life! It would break me.

· March 4th, 2009 at 11:15 pm · Link

Louisa, I totally agree about the bathroom-We also have a double shower, two toilets, two vanities and a jacuzzi. I’m more concerned about the loo having brought up 3 boys LOL

3. Christina
      · March 4th, 2009 at 11:43 pm · Link

I always think those “property virgin” shows are hilarious. I want this, and this, and that, and I refuse to consider this, or that, but they don’t have the buying power to get it. And don’t get me started on brand new couples with no kids wanting 3-4 bedrooms and extra baths!

4. Crystal Jordan
      · March 4th, 2009 at 11:48 pm · Link

I like being spoiled. My one bedroom apartment I live in BY MYSELF is 700 square feet. And I would totally need my own bathroom if I ever shared living space with anyone.

· March 4th, 2009 at 11:53 pm · Link

I think my first apartment was twice that size… Wow. I’m so spoiled!!!! LOL. It’s amazing how little we really need.

April Morelock

· March 5th, 2009 at 12:18 am · Link

Christina, maybe it’s just the one’s they have on TV, but it always amuses me too-especially the “Princesses” LOL

· March 5th, 2009 at 12:19 am · Link

Crystal-that first house, the one where I lived with my 5 sisters?? About 1000 sq feet-imagine it…

8. Lucy
      · March 5th, 2009 at 1:44 am · Link

Oh, man. We still dream of our first house. It sounds heavenly, even if tiny!

· March 5th, 2009 at 3:41 am · Link

Lucy you are so right-we were just thrilled to be property owners!

10. MariaGeraci
      · March 5th, 2009 at 10:57 am · Link

I loved the first house Mike and I bought. It killed me when we sold it and I heard new owners talk about ripping out the wall paper I’d put in the kitchen;( It’s funny how we get so attached to places.

· March 5th, 2009 at 5:46 pm · Link

Maria, you had wallpaper?? Must have been the ‘eighties’ LOL

12. Madeline Moore
      · March 5th, 2009 at 8:43 pm · Link

Great post Kate! I still dream of my childhood home, ‘The Blue House.’

I just remembered something my daughter said the other day. I must remember to ask her what she was talking about.

Felix and I have a two piece en suite bathroom that is mine. He uses the bigger bathroom just down the hall.

The other day my daughter said to me, ‘If I were your bathroom, I’d give up.’

What does it Mean?????