Why I love this scene…
Monday, October 20th, 2008 Oct 20th, 2008 leave a response

This scene is from a classic movie called “It’s a Wonderful Life“, starring James Stewart as George Bailey and Donna Reed as Mary. It’s a staple here in the USA at Christmas but was considered a flop at the time of its release in 1946. It was nominated for five Oscars without winning any, but the film has since been recognized by the American Film Institute as one of the 100 best American films ever made, and placed number one on their list of the most inspirational American films of all time.

Of course, I’m a cynical Brit, but this film really moved me. On Christmas Eve 1946, George Bailey is deeply depressed, even suicidal. Clarence Odbody, an Angel Second Class, is sent to Earth to save him — and thereby earn his wings.

From childhood, George’s greatest ambition has been to see the world, to become an architect and design bridges and skyscrapers everywhere. However, George repeatedly has to sacrifice his dreams. In this clip, he’s close to being able to leave the town and finally achieve his dreams, but he’s fallen in love with Mary.

The moment when he stands over her when she is on the phone and simply inhales her, is probably one of the most erotic moments I’ve ever seen in a movie. I love the way he hates her and loves her, wants her and wants to leave, can’t stop himself from caring despite everything-and both actors do a fantastic job showing this rather than just saying it. This is how I want to write-this is how I want my readers to feel.

Things work out fine in the end. Clarence is able to show George what the town would’ve been like if he hadn’t made those sacrifices and everyone lives happily ever after-sigh-even Clarence gets his wings-perfect for an old romantic like me 🙂

7 comments to “Why I love this scene…”

1. Leah Braemel
      · October 20th, 2008 at 4:26 pm · Link

That’s one movie I’ve never been able to get into, but that scene is great. Talk about sexual tension being ramped up, and that final scene of him trying to deny his attraction to her. Wonderful!

2. Karen Erickson
      · October 20th, 2008 at 4:36 pm · Link

Yes I am a Christmas sap and I love all Christmas movies yet I’ve never seen this one! Unbelievable.

That’s a great scene. This holiday season I vow to sit down and watch it. I’ve always loved Jimmy Stewart.

3. Louisa Edwards
      · October 28th, 2008 at 2:14 pm · Link

I love all Frank Capra movies, sort of on principal, but It’s a Wonderful Life is definitely top of the list. I must have seen it a hundred times, but I still cry when George tells Mary he’ll lasso her the moon if she wants it.

· October 29th, 2008 at 8:14 pm · Link

Oh Caffey, that’s so sweet-the true meaning of Christmas, right there 🙂

5. Judy
      · October 30th, 2008 at 11:55 pm · Link

That was a great scene. We watch it every year. I love Christmas time.

Simply Sinful looks delicious.

6. angie
      · October 31st, 2008 at 12:33 am · Link

i love this movie mum made us watch it 100s of times it brings back memories of when i was a child

7. amy*skf
      · October 31st, 2008 at 5:00 am · Link

Kate, every year I look forward to happily stumbling on It’s a Wonderful Life–and it doesn’t matter what part of the movie–I don’t want to buy it, I just want the miracle of happening on it.

It’s always been one of my favorite movies…

Caffey, I’m glad your family put up a tree last year, hope you do it again this year. A simpler Christmas is better–wish we all could know that.