Knicker shock
Wednesday, January 23rd, 2008 Jan 23rd, 2008 leave a response

It was my birthday last Saturday and dear Mr Kate took me up to San Francisco for a day of shopping and lunching and general merriment,(i.e. no kids) Initially I’d decided to get a new handbag, a brown one, to match my new Ariat cowboy boots, see left, but nothing inspired me enough to spend big bucks on it, well Mr Kate’s big bucks, but you know what I mean 🙂

We had lunch at The Cheesecake Factory at the top of the Macy’s building and regrouped. I asked dear Mr Kate if he could look up a British store that I’d heard had a shop in San Francisco on his iphone. He looked a bit skeptical but when I mentioned it was fancy lingerie, he suddenly became much more interested. We located the store just off Union Square on Geary Street and headed down there, stopping in Neiman Marcus on the way.

Of course, while we were in NM, we saw a lovely Issey Miyake cardigan in beautiful reds, oranges and yellow. We both liked it and filed it away for future reference in case I didn’t find a handbag. then we went in search of the lingerie.

Agent Provocateur turned out to be a fabulous little shop. Mr Kate made himself at home on the fancy seats while I tried on about twenty different bras with the help of a sales assistant. I fell in love with two of them and decided, seeing as my lovely MIL had left me some birthday money as well, that I could afford to really splash out and get two sets. Being a generous woman, I decided to let Mr Kate pick his favorite style of matching underwear.

And here’s where I slipped up. I didn’t check the prices of the knickers…I knew the bras were expensive and I reckoned the knickers would be about a third of the bra price. Um, no…the bill was humongous and Mr Kate just paid it like a lamb and off we went.

He still wasn’t speaking 2 blocks down and he had this kind of dazed look in his eyes. Meanwhile, I was checking in the very fancy bag for the receipt and finding out just how expensive a set of French made British imported knickers can be. I was laughing so much that I offered to take them back, but Mr K wouldn’t hear of it. He even still wanted to buy me the Issey Miyake top! Luckily for us, NM only takes American Express and their own charge card, neither of which we had on us!

So feast your eyes on my new knickers and remember-always check the price before you reduce your husband to complete speechlessness…

8 comments to “Knicker shock”

· January 23rd, 2008 at 7:00 pm · Link

the knickers are hot, but I want those BOOTS!

Mr. Kate is such a champ. Mr. Mel would’ve laughed at the total and said nevermind. Sigh.

2. Lia
      · January 23rd, 2008 at 7:01 pm · Link

Well, they are beautiful.

We really have to think about the fact that for most men their underwear are 3/$10. Most men are perfectly satisfied with their Hanes.

Even at an inexpesive place our panties cost three or four times(on sale) what their’s do.

Besides, they ususally enjoy our underwear more that we do anyway.

3. angeleque
      · January 23rd, 2008 at 7:04 pm · Link

Very sexy.

Agent Provocateur has very hot but a bit expensive.

Mr. Kate is a trooper.

4. Gina Black
      · January 23rd, 2008 at 7:40 pm · Link

I want those boots too! Do tell, who is the bootsmith? I’m going to Texas this spring and I wanna bring me back some cowgirl boots. 🙂

5. Shelley Munro
      · January 23rd, 2008 at 9:14 pm · Link

They’re gorgeous, Kate, and I love the boots, too. I’m sure Mr Kate will get just as much fun from the lingerie as you.

It made me laugh though. My hubby saw the price of a new bra I purchased and said, “That’s a good deal.” He pointed at the matching panties, assuming the price was for both.
    When I said, “No, that was the price of just the bra,” he did his mumbling/head shaking/glazed eye look. Men are so funny. Sometimes they have no idea.

6. Louisa Edwards
      · January 27th, 2008 at 1:59 am · Link

Um, Kate–I don’t think the price tag is why Mr. Kate was speechless. If he was imagining you in those things, what in the world COULD he say? Zowie!

7. MariaGeraci
      · January 27th, 2008 at 4:37 pm · Link

What Louisa said;)

8. The Pam
      · January 30th, 2008 at 4:10 am · Link

May both you and Mr. Kate enjoy the lingerie. (Because at those prices, you really can’t call it underwear, can you?)