bad mother-good writer?
Friday, September 28th, 2007 Sep 28th, 2007 leave a response

I’m in disgrace with Mr Kate and my 5 yr old daughter, just because I borrowed a few Barbie’s, well one Barbie (Belle) and two boy Barbie’s (Beast in human form and Prince Charming).

I was writing this erm sex scene and trying to work out how to co-ordinate everyone’s limbs and I needed help. Of course, no one was home so I had to improvise-hence the Barbie’s…Luckily one of the men was also double jointed which made everything work perfectly.

Unfortunately, I just dropped the pile of bodies to the floor and forgot about them as I carried on writing. Several hours later, Mr Kate fell over them and inquired as to why my daughter had left them there, To be fair, I said it was my fault and explained why. Mr K’s face was a picture…and suddenly I felt bad for using my sweet little girl’s toys for salacious purposes.

When my daughter saw the Barbie’s I got a lecture about asking before taking someone else’s toys and using the words ‘please and thank you’, which sounded terribly familiar. She also told me to put the boy Barbie’s away in the drawer because she didn’t like them very much.

So the scene came out great but my family aren’t so impressed-but what’s a writer to do?

I have Jane Lockwood guest blogging next week about her historical erotic romance “Forbidden Shores”. Jane is another ex-Brit so the conversation might turn to tea!

I had a great time last night in Tibron answering questions from a wonderful group of book club women. It was nice to be asked to come and I hope I represented my genre and my naughty writing well!

8 comments to “bad mother-good writer?”

1. Madelynne Ellis
      · September 29th, 2007 at 6:32 pm · Link

You wicked mother! LOL. Though I confess to being strangely entertained by my sons Captain Jack Harkness and Dr Who action figures.

2. Crystal Adkins
      · October 1st, 2007 at 5:50 pm · Link

HAHA that is hilarious!! But very Mcguiver of you!

3. Beth Caudill
      · October 1st, 2007 at 6:50 pm · Link

That is a great story. Although my 7 year old is starting to give me familiar lectures as well. Terribly sad when they can repeat them word for word.

Beth

4. jan
      · October 5th, 2007 at 1:50 am · Link

You made me cry laughing so hard. Hope you’re happy.

Glad to see the new book on the website!

· October 5th, 2007 at 8:36 pm · Link

jan…and my work is done,,,
    🙂

· October 14th, 2007 at 8:51 pm · Link

That’s hilarious! Hmm, maybe I should get my daughter some Barbie’s for Christmas…
    😉
    (KathyM from RWAOL)

7. Annalee Blysse
      · November 24th, 2007 at 11:00 pm · Link

Oh no! My own Barbie use isn’t nearly so interesting! In late Sept or early Oct I tried to put up the name Barbie on my CafePress store because I know someone who goes by Barbie. They flagged the images and nixed that plan. I thought it was kind of silly. Until that point in time I didn’t have any problems with trademarks limiting my free speech.

8. Denise
      · September 29th, 2009 at 7:42 pm · Link

Very funny!!! A new use for Barbies?