Toes woes
Tuesday, September 4th, 2007 Sep 4th, 2007 leave a response

Did you know that-
Walking into one of these:

Results in you gaining one of these?
Please note, the hairy leg is not mine, I promise.

I didn’t until a couple of weeks ago when I walked into the corner of the Tibetan chest on my landing, not dissimilar to this one except mine is more red, and two of my toes went one way and three the other. I admit to saying some very very naughty words in front of my daughter because somehow I knew it was bad.

But in true British stiff upper lip, hospitals are for sick people mode, I hobbled around for over a week unable to put my left foot flat on the ground. Eventually even Mr Kate, who up till then had been enthusiastically applauding my ability to still manage my life without asking him to do too much, suggested I might want to take my toes to the doctor.

I pointed to my expertly bandaged buddied up toes. “This is all they will do and charge me a gazillion dollars for.” But no, even that appeal to Mr K’s wallet didn’t work so I went to the doctors who made me fill out all their forms again because apparently they hadn’t seen me for so many years that I didn’t register on their computers. (Did I mention I’m not keen on hospitals?)

Of course they send me for an x-ray and lo and behold I had indeed fractured almost right through my second toe in! I thought I’d be able to go home but apparently I needed to see an orthopedic specialist-for taping toes? I wondered, but didn’t say it out loud. I was indeed beyond buddy tape…

Hence the boot for 6 weeks minimum and a bone knit time of approx 3-4 months…
I feel very stupid.

Disadvantages to having the boot:
1. it weighs a ton and lugging it around makes me cross.
2. it makes me feel stoopid
3. I can’t wander the stores at my leisure (Mr Kate thinks this is a definite plus!)
4. Everyone does this peculiar sniggering snorting thing whenever I stomp past.

Advantages to having the boot:
1. Mr Kate makes me lots of cups of tea and helps out a bit more in the carrying dept.
2. I’m getting more writing done because I can’t go out so much.
3. My family get to laugh at me and call me Hoppy and Hobbly and I can’t chase after them-laughter is good right?
4. I now have a pet toe called Mr Cracky.
5. I got a prescription for vicodin šŸ™‚

A question for anyone who is American-what is the white shoes and labor day thing all about?

10 comments to “Toes woes”

· September 4th, 2007 at 5:50 pm · Link

white shoes should only be worn from Easter to Labor day. (sneakers excluded)

Hope your foot is better soon.

· September 4th, 2007 at 7:36 pm · Link

yes Mel, but why??
    inquiring minds want to know

3. Kristen
      · September 5th, 2007 at 1:44 pm · Link

It used to be a fashion thing that happily has gone the way of the do-do bird.

Hope your poor toes feel better soon, Kate.

4. Jenna Mayson
      · September 5th, 2007 at 3:07 pm · Link

Don’t know why about the white shoes thing either. Still follow it, even though.

Hope your toe feels better soon – Vicodin should help. I like that stuff just a bit too much.

· September 5th, 2007 at 6:02 pm · Link

I don’t know why, but I know that in the south, if you wear white shoes after labor day or before easter, you’ll be made fun of….

I still don’t do it. Of course, I don’t wear white shoes at all other than sneakers, but that’s a whole ‘nother story.

· September 5th, 2007 at 7:13 pm · Link

Is it like tacky or something?
    Is it a class thing?
    Sorry, I’m just fascinated…

I thought of one more advantage to having the leg brace-it makes my other leg look slimmer and less canklier

· September 6th, 2007 at 2:38 am · Link

Yes, it’s tacky.

Here’s a link that will answer WHY for you: http://ask.yahoo.com/20020913.html

I asked my mom why and she said, “Because we’re southern and it’s tradition, that’s why.” LOL

8. Marly Mathews
      · September 6th, 2007 at 11:18 am · Link

Oh, I hope you’re feeling better soon, Kate.

The same white shoe rule applies up here in Canada as well…

~Marly

9. PattiF
      · September 9th, 2007 at 3:57 am · Link

I know it’s a southern thing about white shoes.
    But I’m not a proper lady and I’ll wear white shoes after Labor Day if I want to! šŸ˜€

Ouch on the toe, Kate.
    I broke mine in Feb 2006, but not as bad. Even by the time RWA Atlanta rolled around, I still couldn’t walk far without my toe and ankle hurting.

10. Robin L. Rotham
      · September 11th, 2007 at 12:07 am · Link

Oh, Kate, I’m so sorry about your toes!

And I thought the no white shoes after Labor Day rule only applied south of the Mason-Dixon line, but apparently I’m wrong. I think as long as it’s warm enough outside to be wearing summery outfits, you ought to be able to wear summery shoes with them.