I’d rather have a bow wow wow
Friday, October 13th, 2006 Oct 13th, 2006 leave a response

The first thing on my mind for this blog is pets. Having a family of 4, we’ve had a few. There was the ferocious iguana who attacked anyone who tried to open his habitat, the snake which had to be fed live mice (shriek!)the hermit crabs-I personally liked them a lot as they didn’t get out much and the big drama of choosing a new shell? Better than any reality show. BTW-I noticed in Petco recently that they now sell ‘bling’ for your hermit crab-no kidding.

So son number 2 is having a birthday and he wants 2 goldfish-he has already named them Rocky and Ringo. Fish are okay, I suppose, although I suspect these will not have a long and happy life due to No. 2 son’s desire to poke and prod and fiddle with everything until it breaks. We shall see how it goes.

I have a cat, he’s the only pet who has managed to survive our family for several years mainly because he treats us with total contempt, probably has at least three other families feeding him and weighs twenty pounds. Nothing gets to him much and I like that in a pet.

We did have a dog once but true to our good choosing skills he turned out to be completely neurotic. It’s obviously catching. I’d just like to mention at this point in case Mr Kate is reading this blog, that I didn’t want a dog and I was right wasn’t I?

Now I want a dog. Having 3 teenage sons I’ve realized that I want to return to a time of uncritical adoration and unconditional love. Mr Kate insists I get that from him already but I know his attentions are shared between me, his daughter, his mother and his horse.Oh I forgot his car. I”m not quite sure where I come on this list and I’m afraid to ask.

My boys and I recently sat Mr K down and asked him about what he wanted in a dog. He decided it needed to a) have no hair b) not bark or whimper c) not drool d) not smell and e) be small.
We concluded that he’d be better off with a skinless chicken breast.

I want a King Charles spaniel-I look a bit like one apparently, so growing to look like my dog would be easy. And I quite fancy the idea of my photo in the back of one of my mega selling books clasping said spaniel to my face. Can’t you just picture it?

While you get over that horrific image, let me change the subject and talk about my upcoming short story in “Sex and Shopping” Changing Rooms. I got my advance copy of the book today and it was a thrill to finally see a real print book with my name in it. And yes, of course I licked the cover! Last time I looked, Amazon UK had the book at 3.99 so rush out and pre order your copy now! (there’s a direct link on my website) That’s for the Brits who read this blog. It comes out in the US at the end of December so you all know what you are getting for Christmas now don’t you?

It also made me wonder, oh blog readers,what’s the worst pet you’ve ever had?

12 comments to “I’d rather have a bow wow wow”

1. Gina Black
      · October 14th, 2006 at 4:05 am · Link

The worst pet was probably the biting hamster. Or maybe it was the biting rabbit. (I know, rabbits don’t bite, but nobody told him.) Actually, he only bit once, but he growled a lot and sometimes lunged at my hand when I was trying to pet him.

Actually, I liked that rabbit. So, the hamster is it.

2. Jan
      · October 15th, 2006 at 6:50 pm · Link

My first ex and I had snakes when the eldest child was a baby. Okay, he had snakes. I learned to like them later in life, but these were not happy snakes…they just lay around and hissed a lot. Until they got out. One of them we never saw again. The other we thought was gone as well until one day I turned on the bathroom light and it lunged at me from the top of the water heater and fell in the toilet. I flushed.

· October 15th, 2006 at 10:55 pm · Link

Gina-now when I picture the biting rabbit I keep seeing that candy advert on TV with the singing rabbit. Hamsters are not sweet and cuddly at all are they?

Jan-eeew gross-I’m not surprised you flushed-I think I might’ve beaten the thing to death with the loo brush

4. Celia Kyle
      · October 16th, 2006 at 5:36 pm · Link

LOL – Kate said Loo! Ok, laughter over. I totally get a kick out British names for things. Sad, I know.

Worst Pet? I don’t consider him the worst, but the most interesting. I have a fat cat named Cali who’s on Prozac. (Just little bits of it, not the whole pill) The vet diagnosed him as having emotional stability problems.

He attacked me the week we moved and got a new kitten. Apparently he got pissed and took it out on me. To keep him happy, I don’t make sudden moves and he takes his piece of a pill. LOL

Celia

5. Mr Kate
      · October 16th, 2006 at 7:09 pm · Link

I really like the thought of a skinless chicken breast as a pet.. Its clean, does not argue back (Unlike the snake the cat the horse and the kids) AND will happly sit in your pocket while you go shopping or the Gym. But best of all, should you find the pet/human relationship not working, you can cook it up and eat it 🙂 (Unlike the snake the cat the horse and the kids)

mmmmmm Order me one up, southern fried!

Mr Kate

· October 17th, 2006 at 5:07 am · Link

Celia-we tried to introduce a new cat into our home but my cat wouldn’t tolerate it. to avoid a massacre we had to take the other kitty back!

Mr Kate
    You said your ‘pet’ shouldn’t smell but I bet that chicken breast would stink after a few days in your pocket!

7. Lillian Feisty
      · October 18th, 2006 at 5:54 pm · Link

If you want a skinless chicken breast, may I suggest a Chinese Crested Hairless dog? I have one-Harriet-and she’s great. Meets all your requirements, too.

8. Ellen
      · October 19th, 2006 at 6:26 pm · Link

Your household sounds like mine (5 cats, 2 dogs, fish, and a hermit crab). I also find the hermit crab fascinating — they all think I’m nuts. Bling you say? LOL.

Mr. Kate’s ideas about things are similar to my own husband’s. 🙂

Good luck with your choice! Ellen P.

P.S. I’m so glad our new wireless now allows me to get to your site. Yay!

· October 19th, 2006 at 8:58 pm · Link

Lillian-I want to see a picture of this marvel of a pet!

Ellen!-so glad you could make it! Welcome to my world!

10. MariaGeraci
      · October 23rd, 2006 at 6:20 am · Link

OMG, a skinless chicken breast…Mr. Kate sounds like a hoot! I have to agree with Gina. The worst pet the Geraci clan ever had was a ferocious biting hamster named Blackey. It gives me the creeps just thinking about him.

11. Louisa Edwards
      · October 24th, 2006 at 2:14 pm · Link

You look NOTHING like a King Charles Spaniel! Who has been filling your head with such nonsense? If you were an animal, you’d definitely be some sort of bird.

My worst pets were a dynamic duo: Chaos and Mayhem, two overbred, spoiled blue Abyssinians–the breed of cat once worshipped by the ancient Egyptians. Yes, inbreeding has become a problem. They were both totally nuts, extremely standoffish (except when they wanted to be stroked, and then they’d come up and actually POKE you with their paws until you pet them), and shed like it was their mission in life. I always thought of myself as a cat person, until these two entered my life.

· October 27th, 2006 at 5:24 am · Link

Thank you Marley and Lillian for the dog suggestions-altho I have to say that the chinese hairless wonder came closest to the chicken breast!

What is it about hamsters? They are marketed as a harmless children’s pet and yet I’d heard so many horror stories about them!

Louisa-I’m almost afraid to ask-what kind of bird do I look like?