Vehicularly Challenged
Tuesday, September 19th, 2006 Sep 19th, 2006 leave a response

I think I’ve worked out why I’ve got two tickets this year and none in the preceeding fouteen years. It’s my car’s fault.

Up until just under a year ago I drove great big vehicles filled with my kids, their friends, their bags and anything else I could squeeze in there. Did I ever get stopped by the police? No, because I was too busy driving the monster things. But now after a mini rebellion, I have this beeyootiful BMW which truly wants me to drive faster.

And the police seem to like it too. After my second ticket this one was for not doing a full 3 second stop at a stop line (I did a 1 second stop apparently)I realized that I’m going to have to drive completely by the book for the next 18 months to avoid Mr Kate’s wrath about the insurance rates. That depressed me because I have this gorgeous car and I might as well have a pushbike.

What is the point of having said sexy car if I’m worried about being tempted to break that 3-second stop rule again? I told Mr Kate that if I do get stopped again, I’m not, (stopping that is)-I’m going to make sure I do something worthy of a ticket like speeding down the freeway the wrong way. Or I might leap out of the car and try and strangle the police officer at which point he will either shoot me or send me to jail. Mr Kate says that there is something very wrong with my value system if I’m willing to go that far just to prove a point but I think he’s just worried about being left with the kids.

So I think I’ll go back to driving the big 8 seater and leave the BMW for Mr K-which was probably part of his evil plan anyway.

Other news-We were thinking about getting a home help type of person who could take the boys to school, do a bit of housework and generally make our lives run smoother. The other day I passed Mr Kate a page of adverts for Nanny/homehelp type people. A little while later I found him and eldest son looking up aupairs on the computer.Both of them seemed very keen on the idea. I had to have a ‘little chat’ withthem both to straighten them out. Cheeky.

I’ve signed the contract for Antonia’s Bargain for EC. No idea when it will come out yet but I’ll let you all know as soon as I do.
I also sold a very sweet story to The Wild Rose Press a new internet publisher. It doesn’t even have a kiss in it! Can you believe it? Finally something my mother can read…

And a final piece of shameless self-promotion-if you have time, go and check out the Avon Fan Lit chapter contest. Mine is called “The Spy who left me” write a snarky comment, give me a star or 5 and I’ll be a happy girl!

8 comments to “Vehicularly Challenged”

1. Celia Kyle
      · September 20th, 2006 at 12:55 pm · Link

Noooo….he can’t take the Beamer….tell Mr. Kate that you need to setup a special savings account to cover tickets and insurance hikes. Then you can still drive your baby.

Ooooh! What about a male aupair? Dress him in tight shirts and faded jeans…mmmmm

Congrats on the sale to Wild Rose! Wow not even a kiss? You go girl!

Celia

2. Louisa Edwards
      · September 21st, 2006 at 6:28 pm · Link

I definitely vote for a hunky Spanish boy aupair. A little Lating houseman! Like Hank Azaria in The Birdcage! I can see him now, barefoot and making Turkish coffee in the mornings…

· September 22nd, 2006 at 2:23 pm · Link

I want to be you kate.

· September 22nd, 2006 at 5:46 pm · Link

Celia and Louise…
    a male aupair/gigolo-what a wonderful idea! Brittany has one doesn’t she? (or is that Kevin?)

Mel-you are way too young and beautiful to want to be old crabby me!

5. MariaGeraci
      · September 24th, 2006 at 9:39 am · Link

Tell Mr Kate your value system is right on. If you’re going to go down, you might as well *really* go down. No half-ass measures for you Kate.

Oh, and I definitely have to go check out the Avon Fan Lit site, which I’ve been meaning to do for awhile. Can’t wait to read yours!

6. creativewriter1985
      · September 26th, 2006 at 7:26 pm · Link

I totally sympathise with you. I’ve not long had a new car, my “Pink Panther” and she likes to go fast!! But I’ve been lucky enough (touch wood – frantically rubbing my desk now) never to get caught speeding. To be fair I don’t speed (much) where there are pedestrians or a lot of traffic… I’m not UNSAFE, just a little impatient 😀
    But stick to your guns, why should men have all the fun with sexy cars?

7. Dana
      · September 27th, 2006 at 2:06 pm · Link

Well, Ms. Pearce, I have consulted with former law enforcement types and they informed me the cops are looking for a roll back, you know when the car kinda settles back after you come to a full stop?

It amuses me that we are both writing for the same publisher. How’s that for cosmic weirdness?

You need a nice burly man nanny to do your shuttling. Maybe someone with a tattoo who drives a Harley.

Chin up, best pencil forward. Dana

8. Lillian Feisty
      · September 27th, 2006 at 5:15 pm · Link

My hubby wanted a Swedish nanny way before we had a kid. Go figure.