Twenty Glorious Years
Thursday, August 17th, 2006 Aug 17th, 2006 leave a response

To celebrate the fact that Mr Kate and me have been married for twenty years-yes twenty-as of yesterday, I thought I’d share some ‘romantic’ erm information/facts about the enigma of ‘Mr Kate’ and exactly why we’ve managed to remain married and still speaking to each other.

1. Mr Kate is not his real name.(gasp) When I told him I was writing a blog I was given strict instructions not to name him because he is a high up lardy-dah business type person.

2. Mr Kate now has several fans who work with him who read my blog and think it is hilarious that a big lardy-dah business man gets called Mr Kate.

3. Mr Kate is very fit. He goes to the gym three times a week and also rides a horse. I swear there is not an inch of flab to pinch on the man.

4. The first time we kissed, I knew I was going to marry him.

5. The first time we kissed, Mr Kate knew that we were going to have a problem avoiding over-bites.

6. On one of our first dates, Mr Kate scratched the immortal words “DD 4 CH” within a heart into the brickwork by my front door with his keys-where it still remains (as far as I know)

7. Mr Kate always writes the above message in every card he gives me.

8 Mr Kate likes AC/DC and loud rock music. He also had a fine collection of black T-shirts bearing band names when I first met him-come to think of it he still does.

9. Mr Kate also has a secret liking for Shania Twain and the occasional Madonna song. I’m sorry but his pathetic excuse of accidentally taking “Ray of Light’ on his business trips didn’t wash with me. I know he knows the words and can even be coaxed into the occasional philisophical discussion about what in the world will Madonna do next?

10. Mr Kate doesn’t drink coffee much as he is totally wired. If he was growing up these days he’d be classified as having ADHD. In our day, he was simply made to stand in the corner and told that he’d never make anything of himself.

11. As a kid his first dream job was ‘bin man’

12. He supports Manchester United football team (loser)

13. His second dream job was ‘astronaut’. He’s still a total space addict. If he gets really rich I expect he’ll book himself a seat on a moon tour. (alone)

14. Mr Kate used to think it was funny to leap out at me and scare me. He doesn’t do it so much anymore because once I nearly expired with fright.

15. After our first ten years of marriage Mr Kate told me that he’d realized that when I shared something with him, it didn’t necessarily mean that I was asking him to fix it for me or tell me what to do. He had discovered empathy-a big moment in a man’s life.

16. After our first fifteen years of marriage he stopped taking my shoes upstairs and let me leave them on the bottom of the stairs. (did I mention he’s a cleaning nazi?)

17. He always tells me I look nice. Sometimes I have to stamp on his toes until he’ll tell me what he really thinks.

18. He thinks I look better without make up (he thinks I don’t wear it snort)

19. He loves me despite the fact that the first time he took me to dinner at his parents I lost a whole fried tomato up my sleeve and got trifle in my hair.

20. When our daughter was born, he got up at four a.m. every morning to feed her so that I could sleep and never missed a night.

Can you see why he’s so lovable? I’m a very lucky lady

10 comments to “Twenty Glorious Years”

1. Gina Black
      · August 17th, 2006 at 8:31 pm · Link

You are very lucky. And so is he. :) Congratulations, m’dear. Here’s to twenty more!

· August 17th, 2006 at 8:37 pm · Link

sigh.

I love Mr. Kate, too.

3. Joy in California
      · August 18th, 2006 at 7:06 am · Link

I still think that we should clone him like Dolly the Sheep. Mr. KAAAATTTTEEEE – sounds like sheep.

4. Louisa Edwards
      · August 18th, 2006 at 10:49 pm · Link

Oh, Mr. Kate. I totally heart the tomato and trifle story. Can we make a tradition that you’ll tell it to me every year at RWA? I think that story alone could keep my love of romance alive.

Happy Anniversary!

· August 19th, 2006 at 4:56 am · Link

Yes Gina-I am lucky-he even does my website for me for free!

Mel-Mr Kate loves you right back

Joy-cloning-I’ll see what I can do

Louisa-of course I’ll tell you the story again next year at RWA, and the next year and the next year and the next year…until you’ll be as bored by it as my kids are

6. Barbara B.
      · August 22nd, 2006 at 8:09 pm · Link

Sounds like a wonderful life and marriage.

Now. Would someone please tell me what the hell is in a trifle? I’m an American and I’ve read about trifles in historical romances for years but don’t really know what they are.
    I assume that it’s a dessert of some type.

· August 22nd, 2006 at 8:57 pm · Link

Hi Barbara B!
    Trifle is a very old English dish. This is how you make it:
    You need a big bowl!

1. Get a jelly-preferably red (jello?)
    2 before making jelly,get canned fruit such as strawberries/rasperries. Remove liquid and replace with sherry or brandy or both (hic). Use this soaking liquid to make up the jelly after the usual bit of boiling water.
    3. Add a layer of broken sponge fingers (lady fingers) can also be soaked in alcohol if required
    4. leave to set.
    5. Make custard-when cool put on top of the jelly/fruit and sponge mixture. leave to cool.
    6. Whip cream add to top of custard, add sprinkles or cherries
    and ta-da! there you have it-the queen of puddings
    (note watch consumption of trifle due to high alcoholic content) It can be made without alcohol but it’s not quite as good!

Hope that helps!
    Now I’m hungry…

8. Julia Templeton
      · August 25th, 2006 at 5:53 am · Link

Ah, how sweet!
    Mr. Kate sounds like quite the gentleman.
    Congrats on so many happy years together! Here’s to the next twenty plus!

9. Daisy Dexter Dobbs
      · August 26th, 2006 at 3:00 pm · Link

What a wonderful list, Kate! I must tell you that in each Mr. Kate-related post you’ve penned, as well as in each Mr. Kate-related comment you post to my blog, the love you have for this man is clearly evident–it always comes shining through.

It sounds to me as though you’re both very lucky, Kate, because you’ve each found the perfect treasure in a mate. My heartfelt best wishes on your 20th anniversary. May you enjoy many more years together. :-D

· August 27th, 2006 at 5:15 am · Link

Julia-he is indeed a gentleman and I think we’ll put up with esch other for a few more years!

Daisy-yes, he’s very lovable!