How to make Kate blush
Monday, April 10th, 2006 Apr 10th, 2006 leave a response

Well, it’s pretty easy actually as I have fair English skin and the amazing ability to blush like a thirteen year old.
The particular blushing incident I’m referring to happened at my town library last week when I went to hear three local mystery writers speak. I’ve met all three of them before.

One: Anne Parker came to my writing class to tell us about her first book “Silver Lies” a historical mystery set during the silver rush in the 1800’s in a real town called Leadsville. She’s a wonderful knowledgeable lady.

Two: Simon Wood who writes mystery/horror and is a fellow escaped Brit. He also writes for “Writers Digest”. Simon is funny in that weird way we Brits call humorous.

Three: Penny Warner-author of over forty books including many non-fiction books on child rearing and a mystery series featuring a deaf heroine called Connor Westphal.

Penny is like our local Jennifer Crusie. She is tremedously supportive of new writers, runs a fantastic class to help people get published and loves to heckle her audience-in this case, read heckle me.

To be fair, she did ask me if it was okay to mention my book, which was nice of her. Of course I said no-but she ignored me anyway. By the time the evening had finished, I was an astonishing pink color but I suppose it was good for me and now fifty people who live in my town think my pen name is Kate X and that I write erotica…is it true that there’s no such thing as bad publicity?

Don’t get me wrong she was funny and not at all mean-It’s just me. I had to practice saying “I write erotic romance” for about 3 months before I could actually tell anyone. I can write the sex but don’t ask me to talk about it!!

The nice thing was that at the end someone tapped me on the shoulder and it was the librarian who very carefully wrote down all the details about my upcoming book in April 2007 and said she would be sure to get a copy. So that’s good. I’m quite impressed with the notion of being in a library!!

In other news the idyllic love story of me and Mr Kate came under severe strain when his laptop broke and he had to share my computer. I found it quite annoying-like letting someone else drive your car or look in your handbag. By Friday, things were tense and Mr Kate saw the wisdom of making a quick dash to pick up his laptop before I had to poison his coccoa. He kept tidying my desk-I believe he might even have dusted it and worst of all, he ate my Jelly Belly’s!! (and if you are reading this you still haven’t replaced them darling)

More books to promote next week but that’s it for now.

15 comments to “How to make Kate blush”

1. Gina Black
      · April 10th, 2006 at 5:03 am · Link

Isn’t blushing good for the circulation?

2. jan
      · April 10th, 2006 at 4:52 pm · Link

I wish I’d been in the audience to help Penny heckle you, Kate X. πŸ™‚

3. MariaGeraci
      · April 11th, 2006 at 6:42 am · Link

Kate, darling, you are going to have to get used to being famous. Might as well start now.

And Mr. Kate ate your jelly beans! Horrors! Does he know you can’t write without them?

4. kidscanwrite
      · April 11th, 2006 at 9:00 am · Link

I was just trying to prepare you for the likes of people like “Penny.” See, you do need to relax and relish the success, love!

5. Mr Kate
      · April 11th, 2006 at 11:40 pm · Link

Ok, I did it. I ate the Jelly beans! I also cleaned up your desk (It drives me mad when I look at it) and ate some of you “hidden” chocolate.. There, my conscience is clear πŸ™‚

Mr Kate

· April 12th, 2006 at 4:39 am · Link

YOU ATE MY CHOCOLATE????

7. Mr Kate
      · April 12th, 2006 at 5:46 pm · Link

Its alright luv, there was at least another 20 pounds of chocolate left in your desk when I finished, enough to last you another week or so πŸ™‚

Mr Kate

· April 13th, 2006 at 4:23 am · Link

From:
    Messers Grabbit, Grabbit and Clearoff
    Solicitors at Law

Dear Mr Kate,
    We have been retained by the famous author Ms Kate Pearce to advise you that a temporary exclusion zone has been set up around said client’s desk. If you venture into said exclusion zone, our client will be forced to take a fork to your Ferrari.
    Yours sincerely
    Joshua Grabbit snr.

9. Mr Kate
      · April 14th, 2006 at 5:56 am · Link

ouch !! That really hurts.

Ok I’ll leave them alone, till the next time πŸ™‚

Mr Kate

10. Anna
      · April 14th, 2006 at 5:51 pm · Link

Kate

eldest sister here. Nana harrington used to hide chocalte as well. i don’t bother because the girls can sniff it out just like my Chanel foundation. I think you forgot one of your brushes with the law. What about the competiion to kiss as many policemem as possible on news year eve in trafalger square?

All busy here Beckie has been offered a place at LIPA ( liverpool Institute of Performaing Arts) the ” Fame” school sponsared by Paul McCartney. All she has to do is pass all her exams stop partying and get on with some work. Simple!

Love to all

· April 15th, 2006 at 10:35 pm · Link

Nothing like your big sister turning up and telling all your secrets to the world is there? Thank you Anna…
    And technically, I didn’t get into any trouble kissing the nice policeman as it is a well established New Years Eve tradition to do that in Trafalgar Square- honest!, although the fact that I had concealed beneath my coat a flashing yellow beacon which one of my friends had ‘given’ to me as a present might have complicated matters if it had been discovered.
    But luckily I kissed the policeman and got away with it.
    I think it was 37 and I don’t think I won. It’s a bit of a blur really…
    and mega congrats to Beck btw!

12. Daisy Dexter Dobbs
      · April 17th, 2006 at 12:24 am · Link

Well I just loved reading your delightful blog post, Kate, but it was all the wonderful β€œKate Family” comments here that had me laughing like crazy.

This was deliciously funny and thoroughly enjoyable! πŸ˜€

· April 17th, 2006 at 7:10 pm · Link

I’m not sure which was more fun…your blog or your comments.

LOL

· November 13th, 2006 at 5:47 pm · Link

Well done!
    [url=http://nddspvar.com/bfgp/jabf.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://agsoqzge.com/okrc/xugy.html]Cool site[/url]

· November 13th, 2006 at 5:48 pm · Link