Kate and the cops
Saturday, March 25th, 2006 Mar 25th, 2006 leave a response

In my relatively short life time I’ve only spoken to a member of the police force (on official business on either side of the Atlantic) on three memorable occasions.

1. Mr Kate and I got told off for kissing and cuddling in the car by our local bobby in our courting days.

2. Our neighbors went through a messy divorce which ended up with the police visiting us for some information.

3. And this week I got my first ticket-ever…for doing 8 mph on a right turn on a red light without making a proper stop.

Luckily only 17 yr old son was in the car with me-if the other two had been in there I would’ve probably ended up with several tickets due to excessive back seat laughter or something. Apparently I have the option to go to traffic school. We don’t have that in England-somehow it doesn’t sound like fun. The traffic cop was very patient when I had no idea which documents he needed to see-luckily-thanks to Mr Kate-they were all in the car. He said I could do traffic school online-I wonder if this is better or worse? I feel like a real American now.

Its my new car’s fault really-all that sleek German perfection whispering away to me “Go faster Katie, go faster, you know you want to, I’ll keep you safe, I promise.”
I would never have been able to move that fast in my previous kid carriers I can tell you.

Not my best week ever. The cats are still duking it out although no more piles of fur are floating around. Both of the wonderful ATII finalists I had on my blog last week got booted out before the last round-(They were robbed!) Is there a curse on my blog? Who knows.

I failed to final in the RWA Golden Heart contest for the third year running. I don’t know why I thought I might-I had this lovely dream of accepting my trophy from Nora Roberts last night and her lending me Roarke for the evening…sad to say I woke up and no phone call. Of course, the good thing is that I have other fish to fry-as in books to write and get published so I’m not exactly devastated. I promised myself this would be third time lucky or never again and I think I’ll stick with that decision.

Mr Kate is off to Hong Kong tomorrow for at least a week so I’ll have to manage all by myself…sniff. The new kitchen appliances are due to arrive on Monday and Tuesday along with Kevin the fixer/fitter guy who reminds me of SpongeBob without the sense of humor-(I think it was the shorts and shirt combo that did it). Hopefully he will have everything well in hand and there will be no disasters…

Here’s hoping everyone else is doing better than me and that next week will be wonderful!!

10 comments to “Kate and the cops”

1. Gina Black
      · March 25th, 2006 at 6:54 am · Link

Your blog is a lucky place, truly. 🙂

And I think I’ve sworn off the GH too. This was year number four for me. I think that’s enough.

Gina

2. kidscanwrite
      · March 26th, 2006 at 2:52 am · Link

It’s been quite some years but I remember a “Comedy Traffic School” which made redeeming my traffic ticket a bit more bearable. Now, why wouldn’t you offer a signed copy of your future romance to stave off that ticket?

3. Kristen Painter
      · March 26th, 2006 at 3:24 am · Link

Considering the writers I know who didn’t final, you’re in great company.

· March 26th, 2006 at 5:05 am · Link

Thanks Gina-I’m thinking we are just way beyond the GH now aren’t we? Enough is enough I say!

Cheri-comedy traffic school??? That’s a Californian joke isn’t it? And I suspect if I’d offered that cop an advanced reading copy of “Where have all the cowboys gone?” he would probably have given me another ticket for soliciting…

Kristen-the GH is a marvelous contest and I kind of had this whole dream of winning, my acceptance speech, la di dah…but no it was not to be. Next year I should be ineligible to enter anyway (fingers crossed here ladies for Kate’s 3rd attempt to get into PAN)

5. Jan Conwell
      · March 27th, 2006 at 12:37 pm · Link

Kate, now I keep Picturing Sponge Bob/Kevin…coming in to install appliances. Don’t forget to put the cats up so they don’t get in your walls! 😛

· March 27th, 2006 at 6:36 pm · Link

Jan-if you’d ever seen my cats you’d realize that they are either too fat or too long to get stuck behind anything without creating a considerable bulge. But you never know!

7. kidscanwrite
      · March 28th, 2006 at 10:44 pm · Link

No joke, Kate. Only in California!

8. Julia Templeton
      · March 31st, 2006 at 2:52 am · Link

Hugs on the ticket, Kate. 🙂 And yes, it’s a good thing you only had one child with you. I’m sure the backseat laughter wouldn’t have helped.

Sorry about the GH, but didn’t you just sell a few more books? 🙂 You have a lot to celebrate, my friend.

· September 14th, 2006 at 2:13 am · Link

Good design!
    [url=http://sfxirqui.com/erde/fdfn.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://wwrpcuea.com/bqtp/cetv.html]Cool site[/url]

· September 14th, 2006 at 2:15 am · Link