In memory of…
Monday, January 9th, 2006 Jan 9th, 2006 leave a response

Mr Kate’s Auntie M died this week, so this blog is for her.

Auntie M was Ireland’s answer to Liza Minelli. Blessed with natural blonde hair, blue eyes and perfect Irish skin, she hung out with the socialites in Dublin during the fifties and sixties. She was glamorous, she loved men and they were drawn to her wit, charm and larger than life personality.

Even as her beauty faded and she was widowed, she still surrounded herself with friends. She traveled widely and had a large devoted following of elderly gay men who found her as fascinating as ever. She loved to sing, enjoyed a good argument and sipped the ‘occasional’ glass of wine.

(At our wedding she and my father decided they were kindred spirits and drowned out the music with their own versions of Irish classics, whilst downing a few drinks at the bar.)

One night, after a glass of wine, I went up to kiss my then only child goodnight. He sniffed the air and asked me sleepily,”Are you wearing Auntie M’s perfume?”

She lived her life. She enjoyed every day of it. She had great faith in God.

God speed, Auntie M-I’m sure my dad will meet you in the bar at heaven and share an everlasting drink and a song with you.

7 comments to “In memory of…”

1. Julia Templeton
      · January 9th, 2006 at 7:49 am · Link

Auntie M sounds like a wonderful woman, and what a beautiful tribute to her, Kate. I’m sure she’s smiling down from heaven.

2. Gina Black
      · January 9th, 2006 at 7:56 am · Link

I would have loved to have known her. 🙂

3. Daisy Dexter Dobbs
      · January 12th, 2006 at 3:24 pm · Link

Kate, I’m afraid your lovely description of the colorful Auntie M left me disappointed. Why? Because there wasn’t more to read! What a wonderful, delightful character this interesting woman would make in a novel. And what a bittersweet loss for you and Mr. Kate.

Perhaps one day you’ll immortalize Auntie M further by including bits of her personality and shenanigans in some of your books’ characters. I have a feeling she’d be absolutely tickled.

And while we’re on the subject of your books, Kate, congratulations on those many excellent reviews you’ve been getting!

· January 14th, 2006 at 5:14 am · Link

Thank you for the kind words everyone. Daisy-I think she’d work much better in one of your books-mine are a bit too dark!

· January 16th, 2006 at 9:59 pm · Link

Mr Kate wants to say thank you all as well.

· July 16th, 2006 at 10:29 pm · Link